Thursday, September 22, 2011

Trust in the Lord

I was especially inspired, while listening again to the October 2010 Conference, by President Eyring's message. It had to do with hope. I have lately been studying some motivational literature. I had thought that the books were chosen randomly, but they all seem to have a common theme, i.e. God created the universe filled with vast resources. God's ultimate creation is Mankind. God loves Man and has provided him with the ability to communicate with God through prayer. he has also provided Man with the ability for God to communicate to Man through promptings of the Holy Ghost. That communication comes in two ways according to Elder Oaks: 1. Through the personal line, or 2. through the priesthood line. It matters little from which line it come, we must act upon it. Joe Vitale says, "...the universe likes speed..." In other words, act when prompted.

I have, for many years, wanted to set up a school where true principles are practiced and necessary subjects are deeply understood. As I was doing some homework for my coaching program, I wrote that intention. It had been working on my mind ever since that time. Some days later, after completing a session of temple baptisms, we gathered at the Arctic Circle for ice cream with the youth. While eating, several of the adults gathered and the conversation focused on education. Because Nevada is failing its youth in education, Bishop Stoddard said, "There needs to be a school that has an LDS focus and Brother Anderson needs to start it." I heard myself saying, "It is my dream."

Since that time I have had several mixed feelings and thoughts about who could be invited to teach and administer. I have thought about what the physical plant and campus would look like. I thought about how to determine the age and qualifications of the students, and many other thoughts. On the negative side I thought about obtaining the confidence of donors, the lack of knowledge of the laws and regulations and the enormity of the undertaking, not to mention the fact that I have no independent means to support myself, let alone something of this magnitude. The thought is still in the back of my head, but no action has been taken to turn it into reality.

This is just one example. Others would include becoming a true enterprise in the law firm where I act as a true CEO and not consult with clients; expanding the Las Vegas office; looking outside the traditional for other opportunities; etc. Positive ideas run through my mind and other thoughts that question and pour cold water on them precede and follow. Which of them do I follow and accept?

President Eyring's talk came just at the right time. I cannot count the number of times I had heard it before as Ii listen to the most recent conference every day either when exercising or when driving to work. But this time it struck home more deeply because I had also heard something similar from my personal business coach and from the recordings of some of the most recognized success authors and speakers. These "limiting beliefs" should not be ignored, instead, we should face them, express them, then determine where they come from and dismiss them with logic, faith and inspiration.

Having done that we can now trust in God fully and watch for opportunities to move forward. "Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not to thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he will direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment