Monday, August 21, 2017

The Innocent Adam and Eve

I gave the lesson in Sunday School yesterday about Adam, Eve, and the Fall. A couple of thoughts were developed from the scriptures I read.

First, there seems to be a struggle with the idea that the partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was a transgression and not a sin or that it was a necessary evil. We know it was necessary, because they were in a state of latent mortality. Bodies that were incorruptible, but also incapable of producing mortal children. Absent the Fall, they would have remained as such. 2Nephi 2:22-23 states: 

22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.
23 And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. (Emphasis added)
It seems to me that we are missing an important concept: they were "...in a state of innocence." Have you known someone who was in a state of innocence? They will believe anyone. Until children have adequate experience, they are completely gullible. For example, we recently received an email letter from our grandson, Jacob. Here is an excerpt: "One time I had a CTR but then I lost it, I made a wrong choice because I didn't have my ring, then the Holy Ghost gave me back my ring, he was keeping it, forever. Then I made a right choice and I got my CTR 💍ring."
It is so laughably cute that it is precious to us, because Jacob is only a young child. It would indicate serious problems if he wrote this at age 18, for instance. 
Adam and Eve were without experience. The whole idea of consequences for sin, or even sin, itself, were unfamiliar territory. Eve partook of the fruit innocently.  When the consequences became obvious, Adam apparently recognized that Eve was not going to be able to remain in the Garden and he partook of the fruit, also. 
I have heard some people state that Adam was trying to shift the blame to Eve with his response to God. I don't think so, because he was innocent and incapable of that kind of sophistry. Moses 4: 17-18  has the exchange. 
17 And I, the Lord God, said unto Adam: Who told thee thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat, if so thou shouldst surely die?
18 And the man said: The woman thou gavest me, and commandest that she should remain with me, she gave me of the fruit of the tree and I did eat. (Emphasis added)
My thought, as I expressed above, is that Adam was given Eve as his wife and commanded to multiply and replenish the earth. Without her, it would be impossible. He ate because he had been commanded to remain with her and would not have been able to do so if both had not partaken of the fruit. I suspect that after the Fall, innocence would go away rather quickly. As mankind advanced over the millennia, sophistry grew along with the loss of innocence. 
Maybe you have a different take and would like to share it. To me, it explains a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment