Friday, March 17, 2017

Is That a Commandment?

I have been adding to my study journal lately, though not as much as I thought I would be doing. Much of it is notes from meetings and General Conferences, but as I read something that makes me ask a question, study it out and draw conclusions, I have tried to put it into my study journal. I am now transferring them into this blog, again.

You will recall that Nephi inquires about the Tree of Life dream of his father, Lehi, and is given a vision that includes an interpretation of the various components of the dream, but many other revelations, as well. Following this awesome experience, he finds his brothers disputing among themselves. They report that they cannot understand the vision of their father.

Nephi asks if they have inquired of the Lord and they respond that they have not because He would not make such things known to them.

Nephi chastises them saying, "How is it that ye do not deep the commandments of the Lord?"

Query: Is it a commandment to ask God for revelation? I know of no such commandment, per se, but Nephi goes on to explain that if we keep the commandments with diligence, and approach the Lord in humility with faith, these things shall be made known unto us.

It occurs to me that keeping the commandments keeps us worthy, but if we do not remain humble and exercise our faith, we are 1. living below our privileges and 2. living below our Father's expectations of us, and his blessings for us.

If we are not living up to his expectations, our privileges, or our potential, how do we rectify our situation? The only possible answer is to repent and to let the atonement boost us forward.  If repentance is necessary it is because a commandment has been breached. At least that is what we are usually taught. What commandment has been breached? Perhaps it is, "Be ye, therefore, perfect..." a commandment that is impossible without the atonement of Christ.

I think it must mean that Christ, through the atonement will make up the difference, but we still must have the discipline to use time wisely.  For example, when does recreation (admittedly a good, even necessary activity) tilt to become a waste of time or even an addiction (admittedly not getting us to His expectations of us)? Attention to video games when the opportunity to have the Spirit teach us the words of eternal life, or wandering endlessly on the computer when opportunities for service are all about us are other examples.

If anyone still reads this blog, I would like to know what you think of my interpretation and what activities have you observed in yourself or others that keep us from enjoying all our privileges?

1 comment:

  1. Great observations, dad. I'm certainly working (and needing lots) on wisely using my time. It's so easy to waste time with the excuse that "I'm helping Ruth with the kids" and play a game or watch some show in the mean time

    ReplyDelete