Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gratitude or Golden Book and the Three Boys

Many years ago the boys and I started the YES program which stands for Youth Excellence Strategy or something like that. Tavan was already out of the house, so he did not participate, but the other three and I would rise early, exercise, read a chapter in the Book of Mormon and memorize a scripture a month. We each had to have our own prayers twice each day, as well. We did this for a year. The reward was that we went to General Conference in Salt Lake City. We stayed in the Little America Hotel, swam in the pool and ate very well. We arose and went to Temple Square at 5:00AM to get into line so we could get into the tabernacle. The boys had our stake presidency sign their YES certificates and took them with us to show Grandma and Grandpa Anderson in Utah. When we attended conference they got the idea to have general authorities sign them, as well. One or two of them had a member of the Tabernacle Choir sign them, but they were especially proud to get Steve Young's autograph. There was a great feeling of love, camaraderie and gratitude as we accomplished something truly worthwhile.

One of the scriptures we memorized was D&C 59:16-21. It was one of the longest and they were proud to have memorized it and recited it for our Thanksgiving celebration that year. It still has a place in my heart when I read it for that reason. In Alma 38, Alma recalls the experience that was the beginning of turning his heart from evil and dedicating his life to serving Christ. In his counsel to his son Shiblon, he cautions that we should recognize that Christ is the only means to light and life. He advises that we should never confuse our successes as being solely from our own efforts, strength or wisdom as all we have and are comes as a gift from God. Pride and gratitude cannot dwell in the same mind and spirit.

As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday, it is always good to reflect on the virtue of gratitude. In the 59th Section of the Doctrine & Covenants we learn that we need not embrace poverty, unless that is our lot in life for the moment. We should remember that the fullness of the earth is ours. We have at our disposal the beasts, the plants of our gardens, the trees and fruits and all things in and under the earth. It is not just to survive, but also to please the eye, gladden the heart and enliven the soul. When we prosper in those things, it pleases God that he has made them available to us so long as we use them with good judgment and not out of greed, or obtain them by dishonest means.

Then he states that "...in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things and obey not his commandments." (verse 21) Cicero is quoted as saying, "Gratitude is the mother of virtues." I believe that is completely true. I also believe that pride is the mother of all unrighteousness. Sometimes gratitude and pride are bed fellows. How? When we are thankful for the blessings we have, but don't acknowledge God as the source of those blessings. How many times have you heard a singer, actor or other person who has received fame or notoriety exclaim how very luck they are? Some acknowledge God, but most just chalk it up to luck.

I do not. Based on the understanding of the Atonement I have received over the years, I know from whence my blessings come and the blessings given to my children and their families. I realize I have gifts and that those gifts are magnified when they are used in the context of what God would have me do with them. When my will is subjected to His will, my blessings increase. When I allow my ego to dictate my activity, I fail to acknowledge God or to find His will and I am left to myself. I find it a pitiful state in comparison.

I have deep gratitude for my life, my work, my wife, my children and my children's families, my health, my opportunities to serve in the Church and elsewhere. I am grateful for the scriptures and the men who have suffered to bring them to us. I thank God for the opportunity of living at a time when the inspired words of prophets, seers, revelators and others are so easily and readily available. Most of all I am grateful for my relationship with God and my Savior. I know I need to improve it in many ways, but I truly love them and am filled with awe to know even the particle I am blessed to know. To any who may sometime read this, I am grateful for you and pray that these posts may be some source of motivation and/or inspiration to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment