Thursday, August 25, 2011

Laman and Lemuel

Laman and Lemuel are first introduced in this chapter and two things become immediately obvious. 1. The are rebellious despite having parents who taught powerfully by the Spirit and 2. They continued down that path despite profound spiritual experiences.

1Nephi 2:14 Lehi taught with such power in the Spirit that their frames shook and they were confounded. Yet, they continued to rebel. 1Nephi 3:2-9 and angel appeared when Laman and Lemuel were beating Nephi with a rod. After the angel departed they began to murmur. 1Nephi 7 L & L with two daughters and two sons of Ishmael rebel and after a heartfelt lecture from Nephi the bind him with cords to be left and devoured by wild beasts. He breaks the cords and they want to do it again. The daughters plead his cause and L & L are touched and ask his forgiveness. 1Nephi 16:39 After Ishmael's death his daughters join L & L in a plot to kill Nephi and Lehi. They are rebuked by the voice of the Lord. 1Nephi 17:45, 48, 53-55 In the midst of building a ship they complain and Nephi preaches in the spirit to them They become angry and began to threaten him. He warns that he is filled with the Spirit and that they will wither like a reed if they touch him. Constrained by the Spirit, he touches and shocks them. They are so impressed that they attempt to worship him. Then, "Monday" happens. They go back to their work on the ship, finding food for their families, living in very difficult situations and the spiritual experience becomes a vague memory. 1Nephi 18:21They board the ship and before long L & L are again rebellious. They are offended by Nephi, bind him so that he is in tortuous pain. The Liahona ceases to give direction and they are lost at sea in the midst of storms. When they loose the cords that bind him, the Liahona begins to work again and gets them to the Promised Land.

Each time until they separate in the new world, profound spiritual experiences were quickly forgotten and rebellion followed. L & L never converted their experiences into disciplined action or even thought. The worldly and carnal had a stronger pull for them than the greater joy of spirituality and righteousness. We have all had spiritual experiences to one degree or another. However, without disciplined activity on a daily basis, these experiences fade in memory and the determination we had to remain faithful wanes. Thus Alma the younger notes that even after the profound experience he had, he continued in prayer, study and fasting. So must we - daily and deeply.


1 comment:

  1. This one is a little close to home for me right now. I'm learning the 29 year old version of enduring to the end and the weaker parts of my soul think, still? Every single day? And even deeper?

    The stronger parts of my soul wonder what the record would have been like if Laman and/or Lemuel had kept one. It's a lot of work to keep any kind of record so it's not surprising that the books of Laman and Lemuel don't come right after Nephi's, but what if they had kept a record of all those extremely powerful and meaningful experiences that changed their hearts enough to change their actions, even if only briefly?

    If they could study their experiences as you just did they would remember more of that power and have at the very least a great desire to remember for longer he next time.

    Truly I feel this way on lately. The Spirit hits me square on with the same answers, promptings, and counsel and I do great as long as I remember those powerful communications of the Spirit. The moment I'm distracted I fall back in to old habits.

    I can see progress and I do have hope. And after reading this I'm inspired to write in my journal more to help me see more of what I'm missing.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Are these kinds of comments okay for this blog? I tend to make personal application to things I read before anything else so my comments will probably be a lot about me...

    I love you Brad.

    ReplyDelete